Saturday, January 27, 2007

What is the Emerging Church?


Since Chris first posted about this article called Five Streams of the Emerging Church by Scot McKnight , I wanted to read it. Today I finally got a chance to read it and I think it is well done. If you think the emerging movement is simply "a latte-drinking, backpack-lugging, Birkenstock-wearing group of 21st-century, left-wing, hippie wannabes" then you should check this out. As I look at the Emerging movement I find myself pulling them in and pushing them away at the same time. That is, I find parts of what they are saying very insightful and other things just seem off base (often depending on who is saying what). Scot does a great job of giving an overview of the movement as well as identifying it's strengths and weaknesses and I really appreciate his insight.