Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What do you Drive on the Internet Highway?

Every once in a while I visit my stats for this blog on Site-meter. It shows me pretty graphs of who came and visited and where they came from as well as what web browser they used. More than half of the visitors to this blog use Internet Explorer. A browser is kind of like a car that you computer uses to navigate the internet highway (here is a more technical explanation). The reason most of us use Internet Explorer is because it is what comes on our computer when we bring it home from the store.

A little over a year ago I downloaded Firefox and I have never gone back to Internet Explorer (even though IE remains on my computer). Firefox allows you to modify your browser with it's add-ons to make it look the way and do exactly what you want it to. It is open source so it is constantly being improved and updated by people all around the globe. It is fast. I am not sure how it does it, but it just seems to work faster and better than IE. Not to mention that last year it was less open to internet threats than IE (In 2006 IE was open to threats 284 days while Firefox was only vulnerable 9 days).

It's Free. If you don't have it, then download Firefox and try it out. If you don't like it, then it let it go. If you do like it you may find yourself using IE less and less.

Firefox 2