Friday, May 29, 2009

Take (no) Prisoners

No this has nothing to do with Guantanamo Bay. Do you know what country in the world has the has highest prison population per capita?

I'll give you three clues. It begins with U,S, and A. So, while the U.S. leads the world in prison population I was totally blown away when I read this article about the how the Netherlands is closing its prisons for lack of criminals.

Prisons are not cheap and while I feel strongly that it is necessary for those who commit crimes to receive consequences for their actions, I can't help but think something is terribly wrong in our country.

What are we doing or not doing that so many of our citizens are ending up behind bars? Why is there such a high return rate of those who have been imprisoned? Are prisoners really the new slave class in the United States as this blog claims?